By ROSHAN THIRAN
Many business leaders tend to under-estimate the power of their company values. This short presentation above by IDEO CEO Tim Brown clearly illustrates the power of values. In fact, he believes that the culture of innovation, creativity and amazing ideas that fuels IDEO and its growth, can be fully attributed to the power of living their values. Tim Brown explains “Clients often ask me how we built IDEO’s creative culture.
For 20 years, I did a lot of hand-waving and gave vague answers. Then, about a year ago, we decided we really should put our values in writing. The result was a slim hardcover called The Little Book of IDEO. In it, we distilled what makes our workplace tick into 7 human-centered axioms. From “Be Optimistic” to “Talk Less, Do More,” they’re the ties that bind us as a culture.”
This is the same at Leaderonomics. We hold dearly to our values statement as below:
Growing People into Leaders… Building Communities of Love… Transforming Nations!
Our core values:
- Relationships – Treasuring & growing relationships with each other, people we interact with, the community & God
- Giving – serving others passionately and nurturing a spirit of generosity, care and love everywhere
- Empowering – Enabling everyone a voice in the world and a place to make a difference
- Growth – Fuelling a lifelong passion for learning, innovation and holistic self-transformation
- Building The Future – executing & making others successful by renewing minds and hearts to create a just, free and caring world
- … and in everything and with everyone, building a foundation of Integrity, Love and Fun
Living your values drives your culture. Getting your culture right is key to the success of your company. And your values are who you are– its why customers choose you. So, if you run a small business or a large business, remember, your values are a key part of your success. Work on them and work to ensure every single member of your team lives the values and is fully aligned to them.
Here are 5 ways you can ensure that your values are sticky and fully lived across your organisation:
- Translate your value into your own stories. Redefine it with your experiences and stories. And make every single person in your team do the same. They own the values. Values should not be statements hung in the wall. They should be lived and there should be countless stories of how these values come alive daily and in different areas across your organisation.
- Create commitment. Most companies never measure or hold their employees accountable to their values. One great example is Johnson & Johnson and how their Credo enables each employee to make big decisions. They live their values daily and each person is committed to its execution.
- Make values a part of your weekly or monthly meetings. Talk about the values at every chance you get. Ensure you continue to highlight employees that have lived the values at every possible opportunity you get.
- Make inspiring videos of each of your value. Ensure the values come alive by breaking down “motherhood value statements” into behaviours. What does each of the value mean in terms of actual behavior? Once people understand these behaviours they will then be more likely to live the values.
- Celebrate success stories. Reward and put employees who showcase these value on a pedestal. Everyone will then try to mimic them and work hard to ensure they live the values too.
- Values are important part of every business. Too many business disregard it to their peril. Make sure you spend some time focusing on your values.
To watch the Leaderonomics values in short videos, check these out!
Empowering: We want to empower people so that they have a voice and access to a platform to make a difference. Instead of waiting around for something to happen, we believe that every person can do something to better our world.
Relationships: We believe that leadership is grown on the foundation of authentic relationships. We treasure our relationships with one another, the people we interact with, our community and God.
Growth: We see growth as a personal responsibility. Leaders must be passionate about lifelong learning and continuously pushing themselves out of their comfort zone.
Giving: We serve people passionately and generously. We believe in giving and trust we will always reap what we sow. From the beginning, Leaderonomics has grown not only on the basis of what would earn us money, but on the value we could bring to communities we want to impact.
Building the Future: We want to play an active part in moulding the future by ensuring we don’t just ‘talk’ about ideas but also execute them. Our aim is to challenge preconceptions and with our partners, together build a just, free and caring world.
Roshan Thiran is focused on educating the world on the importance of having sound, integrity based values. He hopes to change his country Malaysia into a values-based nation. Click here for more articles.
Roshan is the CEO of the Leaderonomics Group. He believes that everyone can be a leader and make a dent in the universe, in their own special ways. Connect with Roshan on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter @lepaker for more insights into business, personal development and leadership. You can also email him at : firstname.lastname@example.org