Photo credit: peddhapati | Flickr
Here we would like to share with you some interesting facts on holidays in December:
- Kwanzaa is a holiday celebrated every year from Dec 26 to Jan 1 to commemorate African heritage, culture, and values.
- Bodhi Day on Dec 8 celebrates the Buddhist story of the Buddha, the central figure and founder of Buddhism and how he came to be enlightened to solve the problems of the world.
- Hanukkah is a Jewish holiday that is celebrated sometime in December and is the celebration of miracles in Jewish history by lighting candles and giving presents.
- Las Posadas is a nine-day celebration until Christmas eve and is a holiday ritual that includes a lively and colourful pageant of kids in costumes who travel from home to home until they reach a designated home to celebrate Las Posadas that year.
- Junkanoo is a Bahamian celebration on Dec 26 to celebrate traditions of their ancestors through costumes, music, and dance.
- Boxing Day on Dec 26 is a holiday associated with charity and giving gifts to workers. It first started as a way for people to donate to the less fortunate by “boxing up” leftover food and clothes.
- Hogmanay is a celebration by the Scottish to welcome the new year by cleaning and paying off debts to truly start the new year on a “clean slate”.
This might interest you: Nine ‘Giving’ Articles To Share This Christmas Season